Saturday, January 30, 2010

Comebacks and family

I am sorry dear readers, for already failing my promise to write at least three times a week if not more and it’s been so long since I last wrote here. Yes I never made any staunch promises or written vows – you might wonder when did I mention this, but that’s what I had in my mind when I started off writing this blog. In my defense, all I can say is that I had once mentioned that I would like to make this into something like a virtual diary where writing was more important than who read. And that again I must admit that even within these few days I have had readers years older than me, dropping by my blog and even taking the trouble to leave their comments, helping me sort out how to write and then maintain a blog. There are others who have left encouraging comments and then there has been my good old cousin who still keeps her hopes up regarding this blog and of course me.

Coming to the present scenario in my life, I just managed to earn a massive compliment from my Aunt when she said that I have mastered the art of playing sitar (beginner’s level) and am qualified to move on to my next level of training. Here let me tell you all the story of my family. My grandfather was a Physiologist who also took a keen interest in music and played the Sitar as well. He made sure that his children also got a chance to get a shot at playing some instrument or singing. My oldest Aunt plays the Sitar – she is the one teaching me to play the Sitar. If she wanted she could have taken music as her chosen career because she was quite good at it and even played for the All India Radio from the early age of eight or even less I think. My other aunt used to sing, but yes, it is referred to in our family in past tense (pun intended). My uncle played the Tabla (the classical Indian percussion) and still does. My Dad used to play the Sarod but that again is referred to in past tense. So you see in my family, at least my father’s side everybody is quite musically inclined. My two cousins – one plays the Esraj and the other one dances.

Nobody thought that I could get myself to sit down and learn how to play the Sitar, let alone play and play well on top of that. My half chopped scarred finger was now starting to give trouble. Soon after the operation when the wounds healed we noticed that I couldn’t straighten my finger. The doc told us that the ligament has dried up and was shriveling which was pulling the finger back and therefore I couldn’t straighten it. A lot of things were tried. Doctors even suggested physiotherapy but I was an impatient kid. Soon my parents’ patience wore out – Dad having to make both ends meet bringing up three kids with a sales job and Mum trying to juggle school and our lives. That’s when my Aunt suggested that we try Sitar. That way I will learn to play an instrument as well as be able to exercise and stretch my finger.
It’s been two years now and I can see the improvement myself. I can stretch my finger much more than I could in the beginning. Also, I have overheard people saying that I have become a lot more patient, can concentrate better and of course can play the Sitar quite well for my age. I think that’s where family comes into the picture. We may all live separately but we are always there next to each other in good times as well as the bad. We take these things for granted most of the time but I think it’s something I can easily forget. Obviously I don’t say it out aloud but I definitely feel it.

3 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

Playing an instrument is a wonderful thing. Not only does it help develop various brain functions, and is enjoyable, when you get older it is a passport to social activities. Everyone respects someone who can play an instrument well.

There are three things all adult regret they didn't do when they were young (if they didn't do them, that is)

One is learn a musical instrument

Another is look after their teeth better

And the third is learn other languages.

Fortunately I ply music, but I still carry the regrets of the other two

Kim Ayres said...

I should also have learned to check my spelling before submitting my comments...

jackonius said...

In our family, the teeth are famous! Will tell you the details some other time.
Instrument - I am glad that I have been able to make Sitar a part of my life.
Thanks Kim for visiting my blog so regularly :)